Clerk contact details
If you have any queries, or would just like to chat to someone about volunteering in the Children’s Hearings System, please contact the Clerks for Glasgow:
Name: Sharon Wright
Phone: 07553 713170
Name: Lee Sclater
Phone: 0141 2873511
Your Area Support Team (AST) is:
Area Convener: Sharon Angell
Depute Area Conveners: Andy Aitken, Karen Morrison
Lead Panel Representative: Dorothy Combe
Being a Panel Member in Glasgow
Volunteering as a Panel Member for the Children's Panel in Glasgow offers an opportunity to create lasting positive change in the lives of children and their families.
You will also:
- contribute to your community
- develop personally
- be part of a supportive network of skilled, experienced and highly committed volunteers
When you join you will receive:
- comprehensive training
- ongoing support
- develop and enhance a wide range of valuable skills such as active listening, critical thinking, decision-making, and problem-solving
Your commitment once fully trained:
- preparation time ahead of hearings to read the hearing papers and reports prepared for each child's hearing
- sitting on at least 16 children’s hearings per year, and providing a minimum of ten dates you can be available in any month
- keep your skills, knowledge and experience up to date by undertaking a mix of online and face-to-face learning and development training and events as part of the panel community
Hearings in Glasgow are primarily held at the Scottish Children’s Reporter Administration (SCRA) centre, 10/20 Bell Street, Glasgow, G1 1LG. Panel Members and other professionals attend in person, with occasional virtual and/or blended sessions if necessary.
Local Training Events
- Panel Members are expected to attend 4 local training events every year, organised by the Learning & Development Team. This training will focus on local services available to families and children and practice issues particular to Glasgow. These events also offer you the opportunity to meet with fellow Panel Members outside the Hearings centre, to help cement friendships and build upon support networks.
For 2023 there will be Information Sessions, all held on Teams, on the following dates/times:
Wednesday 27 September, starting 2pm
Monday 2 October, starting 7pm
To give you as much background detail as possible the Glasgow Information Sessions will include short presentations by Panel Members, Panel Practice Advisers, CHS Learning Academy and the Scottish Children’s Reporter Administration (SCRA), followed by a Question and Answer session.
If you want to attend, please choose a session and then sign up by contacting the Clerks. Contact Sharon Wright, email@example.com or 07553 713170, or Lee Sclater, firstname.lastname@example.org or 0141 287 3511. Otherwise, contact a Depute Area Convener. Andy Aitken at email@example.com, or Karen Morrison on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday: mornings and afternoons
Tuesday: morning and afternoons
Thursday: mornings and afternoons
Mornings: from 9.30am, Afternoons: from 1.30pm; note that emergency and additional hearings can be called at other times.
As a new Panel Member, a Buddy will be allocated to you, to offer support, guidance and answer any questions you may have and available for help and advice for your first few hearings. Every Buddy has a wealth of knowledge, experience and understanding from their own time as a Panel Member and is happy to help you to get the best from your experience. The local Panel community is very happy to support you.